Monday, November 16, 2009

Learning Reflection for the Week of 11/9

This week I learned that working in groups is so much different on so many levels than working alone or with only one or two other people.

First off, I think that the best group size is a small group. No more than your self and 3 other group members. Any more than that, things and tasks get lost, and mis-communication runs rampant.

My group right now is of 5 partners 6 total including myself. I'm fortunate though, as my group members are excellent.

The way that groups function is interesting. Everyone doesn't want to get in anybody elses way. It is a constant loop of people giving way to other people. When ever an idea is introduced, it is passed usually to about 2 people, then is seemingly dropped and random conversation follows. A leader figure needs to take charge to actually move the group along the decision making process. Otherwise, nobody will get anywhere.

It just so happens that I've become a leader figure in the two classes of mine that are doing group work right now. I noticed the patterns above, and eventually just decided that instead of waiting in awkwardness for someone to take charge, I'd just do it. Eventually though, everyone warmed up to the idea of a group, and I've since "stepped down" from my "role," but I know what to do the next time I'm assigned to work in a group of more than 4 people total.

No comments:

Post a Comment